Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Differences

My two boys couldn't be any more different! Not only do they look like night and day, but their little personalities are completely opposite! From the way they eat, to how they liked to be soothed, to how they sleep is absolutely totally different! I feel like a new mommy learning all of the ropes of a new baby! What worked for Cooper, certainly does not work for Whitten!

Size:
The boys were the same size when they were born. Coop 6.5 oz, Whitt 6.8 oz! I thought for sure Whitt would be little like Cooper....not so much!

Coop: tiny little peanut (followed the sizing of clothes perfectly). He even wore preemie clothes for the first few weeks! He didn't "unfold" from the fetal position for months!!

Whitt: Big ole' fireplug (is way ahead of his month in clothing). Likes to be completely stretched out!

Eating habits:
Coop: Loved to nurse. Let's just put it bluntly....he was a a boobie man! I honestly couldn't wait to have another baby so I could have the same nursing experience! It was very emotional for me....and I just loved every second of it!!! He was more of a snacker and didn't always take full feedings. He never said "no" to nursing...even if he wasn't hungry!!!! He was not a fan of bottles for several months, but after forcing them on him, he eventually took them..when he absolutely had to!

Whitt: Likes to nurse. However, he's serious about his food and gets the job done quickly. When he's done, he's done!! If I try to nurse him when he's not ready or if he's full....you would think I was trying to poison him. Definitely a different experience this time around. AND...sometimes he actually prefers a bottle. : ( This makes me really, really sad...but I'm so thankful that he will take one!

Sleep:
Coop: Didn't sleep through the night until he was 1 year old. At 2 months he was still waking up 2-3 times a night to eat. Napping....what nap?! He wasn't a very good napper until he was about 8 months old. I usually had to nurse him to sleep. I know...shame on me! But desperate times call for desperate measures!! If he wasn't nursed down, I had to rock him. I used the term "had" like it was a bad thing! Those were some of my most favorite moments with my little snuggle bug! He would still let me rock him to sleep if he had a rocker in his room!!

Whitt: Sleeping through the night at 2 months. But let me not fail to mention....he is still sleeping in his bouncy seat because of the scare we had about 7 weeks ago. He needs to be weaned as soon as possible!!! So, his sleeping habits might change a little when he's flat on his back! Napping...hmmm? This is debatable! As of right now, we are so on the go because of Coop! He sleeps well in his car seat...when the car is moving (but hates getting into it). He sleeps javascript:void(0)well in his swing. As of right now he's taking 1 hour naps in his bed. I'm hoping this will help wean him out of his bouncy seat! But he doesn't really have a schedule. He's awake for about an hour before he's sleepy again and needs to take a nap!!! Instead of being nursed to sleep, Whitt likes to be bounced to sleep...in his bouncy seat!!! He's not much of a rocker (so sad for me).

Alertness:
Coop: Wide awake from day one!!! He was ready to see the world!!! He was smiling at 3-4 weeks and laughing and really engaged at 6-8 weeks! He's still my little social butterfly!

Whitt: SLEEEEEEPPPYYYY baby!!!!! He didn't really open his eyes and notice his world until about 7-8 weeks. Even then, he wasn't too impressed! He started smiling at 7-8 weeks. And at 12 weeks... we have had a tiny little chuckle! He is super interested in his world now and is totally engaged and making eye contact! He's batting at toys and cooing like nobody's business!! He's a flirt...when he's awake! And has the sweetest dimples in the world!

Skin tone:
Coop: Started out golden. Turns out it was jaundice!! Now he's our little white boy!!! Sensitive skin!

Whitt: Has kept the pretty golden tone! And his skin seems heartier than Cooper's!

Soothing:
Coop: LOVED to be held and snuggled and rocked and kissed and hugged and loved!!!!!! He's 2 1/2 and still loves all of the above! He probably asks me once a day to hold him like a baby! We have daily make out sessions!!!!! Ha!! This little guy is insanely affectionate! I could pretty much eat him up!! When he was a baby and was upset, i could always soothe him by snuggling him or....nursing him!

Whitt: Oh my!!! Homeboy likes to be in his bouncy seat! Whitt does not like to be held like a baby. Period. He will tolerate being held over the shoulder or bouncing on your knee, but don't even think about him melting into you and snuggling up... unless he is completely relaxed. He's really not that high maintenance, but soothing is not his game. He will still take a paci when he's super tired. Other than that....he kind of likes to be at an arm's length away from you! I'm hoping he changes his ways. I'm such a snuggler and it drives me crazy that he doesn't like to be rocked! I think he's just too big and likes to be completely stretched out. Ugh...I need some baby lovin'!!!

So...here is my little fireplug at 12 weeks (tomorrow)!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment