Sunday, August 11, 2013

Reason for double mastectomy

I have had a lot of people ask me why I chose to have this surgery.  Long story short....I found my first lump and had my first sonogram at 21.  Throughout the years I have had so many sonograms that I can't even count them.  As you age, your breast tissue usually gets less dense; mine is getting more dense.  I was told that my breasts were so dense that the chance of ever finding cancer would be like finding a specific snowflake in a blizzard.
Biopsies always came back abnormal, which led to lumpectomies.  2009 I had my first lumpectomy.  I had my second one in 2011.  After my second one, I just knew something wasn't right.  I was so fearful and fully expected to hear the "c" word!  Josh and I joked that we wished I could just get it all out and start over!  Ha! Well, as I was in recovery after the second lumpectomy, Dr. V told Josh that this was going to be a common occurrence.  I already had another large lump that needed to be removed and would require reconstruction.  He explained that the next step would be a double mastectomy.  He never pushed the idea on us.  It was totally up to me.  He told me to wait a few years if I wanted to have another baby.  Over the next year, I felt complete peace about the going forward with the surgery.  I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I was willing to go through the craziness to have the security that my chance of breast cancer was less than 5%.

I can't find my last path report, but basically I have severe fibrocystic disease and atypical hyperplasia.  Here is a little definition of what that is.....




Atypical hyperplasia is thought to be part of the complex, multistep process by which breast cancer develops. The process begins when normal cell development and growth become disrupted, causing an overproduction of normal-looking cells (hyperplasia). Atypical hyperplasia occurs when the excess cells stack upon one another and begin to take on an abnormal appearance. The abnormal cells can continue to change in appearance and multiply, evolving into noninvasive (in situ) cancer, in which cancer cells remain confined to the area where they start growing. Left untreated, the cancer cells may eventually become invasive cancer, invading surrounding tissue, blood vessels or lymph channels.
It's not clear what causes atypical hyperplasia. Atypical hyperplasia forms when breast cells become abnormal in number, size, shape, growth pattern and appearance. Location of the abnormal cells within the breast tissue — the lobules or the milk ducts — determines whether the cells are atypical lobular hyperplasia or atypical ductal hyperplasia.

So, there ya have it!  Many, many, many years  of fear that the next time would be "the time".   I'm 18 days out and feeling really good!  I still have quite a long road ahead of me....but the hard part is over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment