Saturday, February 12, 2011

4 month (3 week) Stats, RSV and Helmet news


We finally made it in for Whitten's 4 month check up and I am absolutely shocked at his stats! I was for sure he was going to be at least 18 pounds...if not 2o! But I guess he's not as big as I thought he was! I happen to have Cooper's 5 month stats, so I figured since Whitt is just a week shy of that, I would compare them! He's not much bigger than Coop at all! Crazy!

Whitt
Weight: 16 lbs. 3 oz (60 %)
Height: 26 1/4 in. (75 %)
Head: 16 1/2 (25 %)

Coop
Weight: 15 lbs. 4 oz (50 %)
Height: 26 in (85 %)...the percentages don't make sense to me. Whitt is longer and he's younger, but his %age is lower! Who knows!
Head: I don't have his 5 month. But at NINE months his head circumference was 16 3/4 inches and in the 5th %!

Whitten's vaccinations went well. The first one just took his breath away. The second one made him scream but only for a second! New research says to not give your babies tylenol before vaccinations and only afterward if they run a fever over 100. However, Whitt did not do well with his 2 month shots, so I cheated this time and gave him a little anyway! It made the rest of the day much better! ; ) BUT....along came a little bug known as RSV. The day after his shots he started getting super congested with a little cough and a slight fever. I was going to take him in Friday, but he ended up acting like he felt ok, so I thought it was just a little reaction from his shots. But today, Saturday, he got worse! Lucky for us, our pediatrician's office is open on Saturday, so Josh had the pleasure of taking him in and waiting 2 1/2 hours to get the positive test. I was happy to rule out the flu. So now we have a really cranky baby who is sleeping in his bouncy seat again because he can't sleep flat on his back or he will choke on his mucus. Which brings me to his flat head! We had his head x-rayed Thursday to see if he was going to need a helmet. You see the reason his head is most likely flat on one side is because he is so dependent on his bouncy seat. He slept in it for 2 months after his aspiration scare and also uses it to fall asleep before being transferred to his bed because he will not let me rock him. Well, we got the results and as of right now his head is not flat enough to wear the super cool helmet. If you could see his head, you would think the x-rays were wrong....his head is pretty crooked and it makes me nervous that we got turned down. These next few months are the prime time fix this problem....it's a short window...and if you miss it, you miss it and your baby has a misshaped head forever. So, we were going to put Whitten through bouncy seat detox and do everything in our power to keep him off of his head. Our pedi told us to use the "positioning" technique! Ha! Whitten detests being held, he can't sit up yet, he will do tummy time but he can only do that for so long. I wear him in my sling, but I can only do that for so long before my sweet Coop needs me to go play soccer...or my back starts to give out! But now that Whitten has RSV, he can't sleep on his back....so he's back in the bouncy seat. I would totally hold him all night long if he would let me, but our little Mr. Independent would never let that happen. So here we are crossing our fingers, that this is the last night in the bouncy seat and we can put him through bouncy seat boot camp....tomorrow....or the next day!

On another note, Whitt started taking a paci again....for 2 days! Oh man! It was the best thing ever! He had a way to soothe himself! RSV hit and he gave it up. Crossing my fingers he decides to like it again! For all those mommas that think paci's are bad news....try having a baby that NEEDS to suck sooooo bad, but won't take one! So frustrating for baby and mommy! So Cooper decided to share his frog....before he realized that Whitt was really enjoying it, and it was promptly ripped out of Whitten's mouth! Look closely!!! Whitt found the frog's toes....Coop's favorite part! Maybe Whitt's going to be a fabric sucker like his big bro!


And just because i'm in love with this picture!

1 comment:

  1. The helmet situation stinks! I remember being paranoid about Audrey getting a misshapen too. I used the Boppy head support thing. It has a smaller hole in it to keep the head from having too much pressure in any given spot. I got it at pottery barn kids, and it has a removable piece that grows with the baby. I used it in the swing and bouncy seat. Here is the link
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/boppy-head-support/?pkey=e%7Cboppy%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
    I hope that link works, if not, search boppy on potterybarnkids.com

    Anyway, I hope everything turns out well! I had no idea that there was such a small window for head formation!!! He is still stinkin cute!!!

    ReplyDelete