Saturday, April 21, 2012

Doctor update

I got results about a week ago that the pathology reports were benign!  Praise the Lord!  However, I wanted to wait until after I talked to the doctor before posting any news.  Basically he feels like a subcutaneous double mastectomy with reconstruction is going to be our next step.  I have had numerous biopsies and two lumpectomies.  I have severe hyperplasia (and some other stuff that I can't remember at the moment) and will continue to have biopsies and lumpectomies for the rest of my life.  So instead of just being cut open every year and being scared out of my mind while waiting for test results, he feels like this is an appropriate and necessary step.  The good thing is it's not an emergency.  We are going to take our time in researching doctors and plastic surgeons.  I go back in 4 months to discuss our future plans.

Here are a few definitions of different types of mastectomies.

modified radical mastectomy  total mastectomy with axial node dissection, but leaving the pectoral muscles intact.
radical mastectomy  amputation of the breast with wide excision of the pectoral muscles and axillary lymph nodes.
subcutaneous mastectomy  excision of breast tissue with preservation of overlying skin, nipple, and areola so that the breast form may be reconstructed.


Subcutaneous, although still a complicated surgery, it is much less invasive because they are just taking out the tissue...which is what my problem is! I'll never forget when I had my first sonogram at 21 years old, the doctor told me that my breast tissue is so dense that finding cancer would be like finding a certain snowflake in a snowstorm!  Yep, just a little scary.   So, that's the latest!

An update on my sweet friend Rachel who just had a double mastectomy...she is doing well.  It did NOT spread, so that was such a relief to hear.  She's two weeks out and still very sore.  I read on FB that her hubby helped her take a shower today for the first time in 2 weeks!!  I know that must have been heaven to get all freshened up!


No comments:

Post a Comment